Non-profit Louisiana Architectural Foundation (LAF) is seeking a dynamic and energetic leader that drives fundraising efforts and educational programs and brings a combination of leadership, people skills, nonprofit experience, and business acumen to the Foundation. The successful candidate will have demonstrated success in volunteer recruitment and development, strategic planning, special event fundraising, and program development. This full-time position is based in New Orleans and requires travel and flexible hours, occasionally working evenings and weekends. A compensation package in the high $30,000’s plus benefits is available to the selected candidate.
The LAF Executive Director reports to the Board of Regents and will spearhead the development of strategic programs and initiatives that build greater public awareness of the Foundation. In addition to general administrative, marketing and volunteer development duties, the Director will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for Louisiana Architectural Foundation’s statewide programs, fiscal management, and execution of its mission.
The ideal candidate should have a minimum of a bachelors’ degree (Business, Marketing, Architecture, or nonprofit management preferred) and three+ years’ experience in corporate development, fundraising, event planning, or any combination of education and skills to fulfill the duties of the position.
Qualifying Skills and Experience
Motivated to meet and exceed fundraising and program goals. Establish and maintain collaborative relationships to achieve business objectives.
Demonstrate an ability to work independently and collaboratively with a wide variety of personalities and leadership styles.
Knowledge of how organizations work, knows how to get things done through both formal channels and informal network.
Clearly and persuasively communicate, including public speaking, listening, participate in meetings, working knowledge of interactive media platforms and writing clearly and informatively.
Work well in a fast-paced environment, align work with strategic goals, complete administrative tasks, and develop strategies to achieve organizational goals.
Follows instructions, takes responsibility for own actions, keeps commitments.
Key responsibilities include:
Leadership and Management
- Serve as a spokesperson and advocate for the Foundation, its programs, volunteers, and program participants.
- Represent the Foundation to enhance its community involvement through fostering key relationships with the greater design and construction industries and partner organizations throughout Louisiana.
- Manage strategic planning, fundraising and communication efforts in support of the Foundation and its mission and develop a three-year strategic business plan.
- Initiate, organize, and administer architectural related event programs and educational activities.
- Actively engage and develop volunteers throughout Louisiana for the successful implementation of programs and activities.
- Serve as the Foundation liaison with the American Institute of Architects chapters in Louisiana.
- Serve as the primary conduit between Board members and the Foundation’s volunteers, supporters, and program participants.
Fundraising and Communications
- Collaborate with the Board of Regents to develop and implement a strategic, results oriented development plan, leading to a broader funding mix and substantially increase the historical level of support as required by program initiatives.
- Serve as a key participant in development efforts, including donor cultivation and solicitation, and promotion of sponsorship opportunities.
- Create and execute LAF marketing materials, social media efforts, and website presence with the goal of creating a stronger brand position.
- Engage the board in targeted and meaningful fundraising endeavors.
- Oversee the financial performance of the Foundation in partnership with the Board including management of annual budget and reporting functions.
The candidate will also bring a variety of experiences and attributes, preferable but not required, including:
- A minimum of 3 years of experience providing direction and oversight to a full range of special event fundraising with responsibilities in general management, marketing promotion and budget responsibility.
- Previous non-profit organization experience and work with boards.
- Experience in fundraising strategy creation and implementation.
- A demonstrated ability to develop relationships and partnerships in the design and urban planning communities.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills and the ability to listen and work with many constituents.
- Demonstrated experience in creating successful event programs and educational activities.
- Ability to travel throughout Louisiana to AIA chapters and work flexible hours. Use of personal vehicle is required in the course of employment and travel.
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite products.
- Working knowledge of interactive media platforms
- Full time, typically 40 hours per week, ability to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends.
- Perform other duties or special projects as needed.
Additional Desirable Qualifications
- Experience in identifying grant opportunities and grant writing
- Interest and education in architectural design and urban planning a bonus.
- A demonstrated commitment to non-profit organizations.
About the Louisiana Architectural Foundation
The mission of the Louisiana Architectural Foundation is to advance community interest and education in architecture and related design in Louisiana by serving as the link between the public and the architecture profession. LAF is a 501c(3) nonprofit corporation governed by a volunteer Board of Regents.
LAF provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability, or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
- Please address cover letter, including salary requirements, to Jesse D. Cannon, Jr., FAIA, Chair, Board of Regents, Louisiana Architectural Foundation.
- For consideration, all applications must be received no later than Friday, November 13, 2015.
- Send cover letter, two professional reference letters*, and resume to Terry@fsmsllc.co or mail to:
Louisiana Architectural Foundation
C/o Fisher Strategic Marketing Services
1026 Homestead Avenue
Metairie, LA 70005
* Please provide two professional references that can specifically validate the applicant’s skills required for the position. Reference letters are limited to one (1) page.